On June 20, MICHUHCAN supporters had the privilege of honoring five true Heroes in the struggle for health care justice.
Without Jim Haveman, director of the Department of Community Heath, and the support of Governor Snyder and Jim’s staff, Michigan would have no Healthy Michigan (Medicaid expansion). The work of State Senator Vincent Gregory to work across the aisle with Senators Roger Kahn and Jim Marleau to finally piece together legislation that could pass was also critical in the struggle. Community efforts from Heroes like Amy Lynn Smith, who used social media to tell stories and educate about the need for Healthy Michigan and Jill Pavka, Director of St. Peters’ Free Clinic in Hillsdale, who organized and motivated her community to get involved in support of the legislation, the votes for passage may not have been there. Our own Board member, Lucille Smith, Executive Director of the Voices of Detroit Initiative (VODI), has quietly, passionately and effectively worked for health care justice in the City of Detroit for many years. She, too, helped to push the legislation through for the benefit of those living in a city she loves. I am personally in awe of all of them and you should be, too.
We want to also thank our organization sponsors and supporters, without whom our work could not continue:
- Henry Ford Health System (HFHS)
- Michigan Association of Health Plans (MAHP)
- Detroit Medical Center (DMC)
- Michigan Nurses Association (MNA)
- Michigan Hospitals Association (MHA)
- Detroit Wayne County Health Authority (DWCHA)
- Greater Detroit Area Health Council (GDAHC)
- Detroit Democratic Socialists of America
- Marygrove College Social Justice
- Metropolitan Organizing Strategy Enabling Strength (MOSES)
- Michigan Primary Care Association (MPCA)
- Detroit Community Health Connection
- Consumers Mutual Insurance of Michigan
- Michigan Legal Services (MLS)
- Michigan AFL-CIO
- Michigan Consumers for Healthcare (MCH)
Lastly, we must express boundless appreciation to Patricia Hammer, whose volunteer efforts to organize the event made its staff and Board so proud of the event.